Here's a quick pattern you can use to create ornaments, coasters or afghans, embellish jeans,handbags and more.
I used sz. 10 crochet thread and #7 hook in this example, but you can experiment with other yarns and hooks for more versatility.;)
This one starts with a traditional Granny Square.
1) With burgundy thread ch4, join to form ring.
2) ch3, 2dc, ch2, 3dc, ch2, 3dc, ch2, 3dc, ch2, join. Break off or carry.
3) With sage green attach in ch2 space, ch3-2dc- ch2- 3dc (all in ch2 space) ch1, 3dc-ch2-3dc in nxt ch2 space. ch1 3dc-ch2-3dc in nxt ch2 space. ch1 3dc-ch2-3dc in nxt ch2 space. ch1 and join. Break off .
4) Attach or pick up Burgundy thread (sl st into ch2 space if necessary). ch3-2dc-ch2-3dc (all in same ch2 space). ch1 3dc (in nxt ch1 space) ch1. 3dc-ch2-3dc ( in nxt ch2 space). ch1, 3dc (in nxt ch1 space), ch1 3dc-ch2-3dc (all in same ch2 space) ch1, 3dc (in same ch1 space) ch1 3dc-ch2-3dc (all in same ch2 space) ch1, 3dc, ch1 and join.
5) sl st to corner ch2 space. Find the center stitch in the side of the square (for me it was the middle dc in the center of the middle 3dc group) 7 treble crochet stitch into center stitch (forms half of the heart's curve) sl st into nxt corner ch2 space and 7treble crochet into next center of the side. Second curve is made. break off.